On the third episode of ‘Forward Progress’, host Gord Randall speaks with Jonathan Becher, co-president of the San Jose Sharks, about how Silicon Valley’s hockey team is using tech to enhance the fan experience, how the Sharks are cultivating a fanbase in one of America’s most crowded sports markets, and the viral sensation that is Gritty.
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts
- The role of the president of an NHL team [3:06]
- The popularity of Gritty and SJ Sharkie [4:00]
- On the early success of the Vegas Golden Knights [5:20]
- On the power of data in an NHL front office [7:22]
- On whether or not a president needs to be a fan first [10:25]
- On Silicon Valley’s views of the sports and entertainment industry [13:02]
- Geofencing and innovations in fan engagement [17:02]
- Hockey is for everybody and encouraging fans to express their identities [18:45]
- How teams can use technology appropriately and effectively [22:04]
- On why you need a strategy and not a social media strategy [24:15]
- Bringing in the corporate audience while keeping hockey accessible [30:15]
- Why regular seat turnover is actually a positive [30:15]
- The addition of Erik Karlsson and the buzz around the San Jose Sharks [33:15]
- Creating a fan experience that delivers both sports and entertainment [37:12]
- New twists on traditional in-stadium experiences [40:15]
- On making incremental changes to the SAP Center [41:04]
- On competing for attention in a crowded sports landscape [46:38]
- Game On: How SAP-Led Customer Experiences Help the San Jose Sharks Win More Fans. ASUG.
- How the San Jose Sharks deliver for the modern fan with S/4HANA on the Google Cloud. Diginomic.
- The Sharks’ new co-president is a top blogger, a hockey fan and a pro at the staycation. Silicon Valley Business Journal.
- Jonathan Becher – San Jose Sharks Co-President. Teal Town USA.
- Does Your Company Need A Chief Digital Officer? My Conversation With SAP’s Jonathan Becher. Forbes.
- Lease extension will keep Sharks at SAP Center through 2025 with potential for further renewal. Fear the Fin.
- Shark Tank at 25: How San Jose’s favorite venue, now SAP Center, got built. San Francisco Chronicle.
- San Jose Sharks: Fan experience, community, and technology (but don’t call it digital transformation). ZDNet.
- How the Sharks reinvented the hockey bobblehead. ESPN.